Wednesday, January 28, 2009

1984 by George Orwell

I love dystopian fiction. I was reading this at this office I work at and a co-worker saw it and was like "isn't that a book you have to read in highschool or something?" I said yes. "and you're reading it just for fun?" yes. "you're scaring me!" I have no idea what she meant by that. Anyways I told her that I mainly read theory and dystopian fiction and she said she had a book I would love and then gave me a hardcover copy of a supermarket shocker book called toxin. I skimmed it and it was probably the worst book I have ever read in my life. It freaked me out to think the the general populace probably finds that tripe super compelling and a page turner. Is this what people really read? I could go into details, but this is really about 1984, not about toxin. While reading 1984 I kept realizing how much I had made this and brave new world into the same book in my head, the overall theme is similar, but you know, different books.

It was really creepy reading this book and continually comparing it to your normal everyday life and seeing how many parallels there are. I also love how influential this book has been on language, like calling things Orwellian and such. I feel like this is a book that pretty much everyone has read at some point in their lives, and I really like revisiting it, even though it happens to be one of the most depressing books ever.

No comments: