Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Hours



So, if you read my other post, you are probably not surprised that I did go ahead and read this one--rather than Mrs. Dalloway again... I don' know how I feel about it. I kind of HATE the writing style--it takes a lot of liberties with the narration and since it's based on 1. history and 2. another novel it seems a little disrespectful with its representations.

There's also a few contrived spots--like there is this whole part about winning a Pulitzer Prize, and then it won the Pulitzer Prize. There's a scene where Meryl Streep the actress is spotted by "Clarissa" in New York and then a few years later, Meryl Streep plays the character Clarissa in the movie version of the novel. Those things really annoyed me, but ok, might not be the fault of the author per se.

I guess what I like is that it's a meditation on death, mortality and suicide. So it's the themes I'm drawn to more than the writing-style or work itself.

No comments: